1.10.08

We have A pearly white!!!

Well...2 teeth broke the surface on Sunday, but it wasn't until today that one of them actually looked like a tooth. Way to go, Aila! Keep up the good work! Now I have to teach her to floss, huh? ;)

Update: I started this post earlier today at work (hard at work, let me tell you!), and by the time I got home, we had not "A" or "one" or "uno" pearly white...we had THREE pearly whiteS!!! Wow! Of course, along with the pearly whites, we have splotchy reds...all over her trunk! At least it doesn't seem to bother her. Her mood is improving!!! YEA!!!

On the blogging front, I actually have something to talk about! I think since Aila has been such a grumpy rump, I have been in a cloud and haven't even paid attention to the world around me. Oh well...lost out on a couple weeks. Not the end of the world, right? BUT...time to get back to business! And that is just where my story starts today.

WWWAAAAYYYY back in July, my baby daddy ordered himself a new cell phone online.

baby daddy: $$$$$$$$ Wow, hon, look! New cell phone!

me: ?????

baby daddy: it has a rebate!

me: oh...okay...that's not so bad. Let's just not FORGET to send the rebate in like we did a couple years ago with the TiVo!

baby daddy: (busy playing with new cell phone) okay

a month goes by......and another...

Which brings us up to date:

I decided I better get the rebate stuff together, but alas, as I begin to compile the necessary materials, the rebate form is missing. Hmmm....that shouldn't be too bad, right? I have the receipt; I have the proof of purchase from the box. I bet I can even find a rebate form online without even having to talk to anyone!

I get the website of a cell phone company to remain nameless (but it is a big company, and it's name starts with an A and ends with a T) thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to locate a rebate form. I start clicking around...click...click....click. And the website asks me to login before I am allowed to click any more. I obey, and am instantly brought back to the home page for the large company whose name begins with an A and ends with a T. So...click...click...click...click...I eventually arrive at the page for the cell phone baby daddy had ordered. Oh..."This phone is backordered...so you can't even look at a picture of it!" says large company whose name begins with an A and ends with a T! At this point I decide it is in my best interests to utilize the tool where you can email your question to customer service.

From: daremboldt@yahoo.com
To: largecellphonecompanywhosenamebeginswithAandendswith@T.atandt.customerservice
Subject: rebate form
Please send me rebate form for phone x purchased on x date. Thank you.

I immediately received an email response stating that I would receive an email response within 48 hours. Apparently, I should have known that was the email response to expect within 48 hours. Unless of course by 48 hours, they meant 117 hours. Whatever. So the 117 hour response stated that I would be receiving a copy of the rebate form via email within the next 1 or 2 days. Well, after waiting 3 days, I decided I would have to get on the (stupid) phone.

(PREFACE: Previous co-workers will be alarmed to know that someone allowed this, but I was a telemarketer...yup..me... for a whole....2 weeks! Now...I have a bit of a history of not being the nicest person in the world when it comes to dealing with idiots on the phone. Telemarketing...not the job for me, and at least I recognized that!)

I literally cannot describe all of the telephone calls that I made in regards to this rebate form, because I cannot recall them. I do, however know, that after the first 800 number I called (which I located on the website), I was subsequently given 9 different phone numbers to call. Each place I called and a computer man would ask me questions. He pretended to be able to understand what I was saying, but despite my screaming in the phone at him, he never did get anything right. I would eventually make it to a real life human being who would tell me I needed to call a different number. I believe it was phone call number 8 that I had the privileged of speaking with Carla. Oh...Carla...I wish you were reading this right now...because then maybe I could trace your IP address and come beat your tail!

My conversation with Carla went something like this:

Me: ya, hi, I was calling because......blahblahblah
Carla: I can't help you
Me: okay, what number should I call
Carla: I said I can't help you
Me: so...you don't have the right number for me to call
Carla: no

dead silence
Me: hmmm...really...no number? You can't give me any number? Could you go ask someone else?
Carla: You called the wrong place. I can't help you.
Me: You're right; you're not very helpful.

dead silence

Me: Really??? Nothing??? No number?
Carla: nope. I can't help you at all.
Me: (more than slightly irritated at this point) okay, and what was your name?
Carla: Carla
Me: do you give your last names out or do you have operator IDs.
Carla: we don't give our last names out AND we don't have operator IDs.
Me: really?

dead silence

Me: can I talk to your manager?
Carla: Sure
Me: Thank you (while I am saying this, Carla........................hangs up on me!) ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

Mind you, I waited at least 15 minutes to even talk to CARLA! PUNK!


What did I do as soon as I got off the phone with Carla??? I called the number right back, because you know what? Even if it is the wrong number for me to call, I WILL be tattling on CARLA!

The second phone call to wrong number #8, was much more pleasant. The man I spoke with informed me that yes they did have operator IDs (I KNEW IT!) and that he would report the incident to his supervisor. He probably won't, but whatever, he made me happy - er. He was also able to transfer me to right number...weird? Carla must not have access to phone numbers. I'm glad Carla is a telephone operator. I think she loves her job. YEA, CARLA!

Long story...not made short (sorry)...I ended up getting to the right place. BUT, annoyingly enough, they are not able to fax or email a rebate form. It must be sent via post, and it will take 7 to 10 business days. At this point, I ask the dreaded question. When does the rebate expire? The operator (who is much nicer than Carla) says, "Oh...it already is expired." I nearly fell out of my chair! Thankfully, it wasn't but a millisecond that passed before she said, "but if you just send it to this address instead, it will be fine."

Phew...I came home and told baby daddy....that money is mine...Aila and I are going shopping! I earned every cent!


6 comments:

Grace said...

Congrats Aila on teeth--finally!

Hahaha! You know that the companies love customers like Dave, the ones that buy things for the rebates and never send them in! Bad Dave!

chae said...

Okay, here is what you do. I did this with Brent and it really seems to work. When they come home with new toys and justify it with the "rebate" line, you must take said toy away and tell him that until he has all of it filled out, stamped, and ready to go he can't have it back. So, when baby daddy inevitably says, "but i have to make sure i like it," give him back the toy for 1 hour. this way, it looks like you are caving a little but really, it was all part of the strategy and it gives him plenty of time to play with it and still be able to fill out the rebate before bedtime. Be aware that this method might cause a tantrum by a grown man but it will save you hours on a phone with rude people trying to get them to accept an expired rebate. I have found that I would rather deal with Brents tantrums than robot man and "Carla."

C. said...

I am so that customer. In fact, I am banned from the library because I have had to many late fees. Granted, I always pay the late fees, but I don't return books for like 3 mo. so I am on their bad customer list and never, I mean never, can step back into the library again. Also, Rebates who needs them. If Chas wants the product I am going to buy the product.

jill jill bo bill said...

I love your blog! And that baby!!!! I just want to eat her up! Gorgeous! Thank you for commenting on my torpedo post. The things I do for a laugh!

Debbie said...

You deserve a lot more than whatever you are getting back just for putting up with that. Oh, I do hate calling companies.

Texasholly said...

Holy crap. I am so glad it wasn't expired after all of that or I was about to head down to the big phone company that starts with an A and ends with a T to fight for ya. haha.

Thanks so much for linking today!