22.10.08

OK...I get it, but what about the jayhawk???

A few days ago, Aila suddenly had fears. Her fears appeared, at first, to be unfounded; however, upon further investigation, we now totally understand why she is afraid. We should all be afraid, really...

So, please beware. The images ahead are most frightening. I would feel terrible if anyone had nightmares after viewing this post! You may need to have your fingers covering your eyes spread just far enough apart that you can peak through to see what is really going on here. Oh, and don't spill your popcorn all over your keyboard. I promise if you do, you'll be upset with yourself later when your fingers are all greasy!



Oh my gosh, right? The Elephant makes me want to cry out in fear!



Part of the reason she is so scary, in my opinion, is that she serves a dual purpose. She is not only stuffed animal, but also a book. I simply don't understand it. It's far too much for the human mind to fathom. It is only natural that we fear what we don't understand.





And, then there's the...



...bathtub. It was only recently that Aila loved to take baths, or so I thought. This fear has been growing for months now, and I just didn't see it coming. It started quite a while back when, suddenly, Aila wouldn't let me lay her down in the bathtub. There was no traumatic event that precluded this change in her behavior. She would simply struggle to sit up if I tried to lay her back. So, I modified our bathing technique to avoid having her lay down. Last week, I decided to use some liquid soap in her bath water. I squirted a little in the tub as it was filling up, and....
YIKES!!!
Look out!
Did anyone just see a soaking wet naked baby RUNNING from the bathroom?
Well, after considering the situation, I realize how frightening this experience would have been. If I would have been the one in the tub, I would have felt just as scared, because, well...just think about it, I mean really think about it!!!






Bears are terrifying! WHY would anyone make a toy that resembles a ferocious animal such as a bear! I am pretty sure, when they do the autopsy, they will discover the foot of a certain stuffed doll that we recently laid to rest.



The fear that is most baffling/disappointing to us, is



WHAT??? Why is the picture of this sweet, stuffed Baby Jay here??? I don't understand. This little Jayhawk was one of the first gifts given to us for Aila. He enthusiastically says, "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk", and he has even mastered the KU fight song! See, he's smart, too! Why is my kid afraid of the Jayhawk? Could it be because he sings the fight song, and the only other time she's heard the fight song was when I was about 8 months pregnant? We went to a KU football game, and as we were walking in the stadium, the band came through. It was SO loud, that Aila started her gymnastics routine, right then and there! At the time, I thought she must have loved it, but maybe I was sorely mistaken.




"Don't bring any of those things near me...I'm watching you!"


6 comments:

Grace said...

Please don't tell me that she likes the Mizzou tiger or K-State Wildcat instead or we'll have to have a talk with your child!

P.S. I believe that I gave her that KU bear when she was a tiny baby and yes, I was trying to give her nightmares with it's frightening face! I am such a meanie, huh?

chae said...

I...I have no words. Everything but the Jayhawk I totally understand. Maybe we could all chip in to get her in therapy or something. Let's hope this is just a phase and she doesn't do something silly like befriend a Missouri tiger stuffed animal. I would check her room to make sure she doesn't have any of that paraphernalia. Let me know if I need to come down for an intervention.

woohoo4ou said...

She's right - jayhawks are scary. I know - I work with a bunch of them. Boomer Sooner!!

jmt said...

Everything you've shown has a large protruding part....the elephant trunk, the bathtub nozzle, the jayhawk beak...but the bear...hmmm...the fuzz? Does the projecting fuzz do it for her? Maybe if you treat the animals like a baby, rock it and sing to it...she might become less afraid and follow your lead? As for the bathtub...you might have to take one with her just to get her past the fears. *L*

Danielle said...

I tried getting in the tub with her...I still couldn't get her to sit down, and she still cried through most of it! Is it normal for kids to have strange fears pop up out of the blue? I've actually thought about calling the pediatrician, but we'll be going in a few weeks, so....

Super Dave said...

If she wants to have a Sooner doll or a Cornhusker doll, I will allow it. If she wants a wildcat from Kansas State, I'll be bummed on the inside, but smile on the outside as I hand her the stuffed wildcat. What I will not allow, nay, never allow is any Missouri paraphenilia of any kind under my roof. Much like the commercial where the girl holds the egg and says this is your brain, then breaks the egg and begins to cook it...this is your brain at Mizzou...you know, if people in Missouri had brains.