30.10.08

Companions...we all need 'em!

*Please be advised, I am NOT pregnant. My thought just starts in a place that might lead you to, at first, assume I AM pregnant. I REPEAT! I am NOT pregnant*

On March 17, 2007, I woke with a mission.



Get up.



Pee on stick.



Anxiously await results.



I did not expect what followed:



Look at faint pink line on stick....is it there?...is it a figment of my imagination?....am I still seeing spots/lines from having my eyes closed for the last 7 hours?



Determine that faint pink line is, in fact, a faint pink line.



Wander aimlessly in the direction of my husband.



Tell husband, "I think I'm pregnant."



Listen to husband, acting like he thought I was joking or faking (can you fake it?) stumble over his words, "uh-eh-ah-uh......hmmmm....really?"



Don't get me wrong...we were pleased...just surprised. We had really only tried for 1 cycle, and I had fully expected to have difficulties getting pregnant since I have endometriosis. After my mind cleared and actual thoughts entered, there was one thing...one thing that I felt I should not be worried about yet, and still, I couldn't quit thinking about this one thing....



CHILD CARE



My mother was a stay-at-homer, and I had always dreamed of being a stay-at-homer myself. But, for the time being, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I had recently heard about a family who sent their child to a day-care that one of their neighbors provided. They had known the neighbors for years, and yet, they discovered signs of abuse on their daughter. Terrible!!! I simply cannot imagine. I was more afraid of child care than anything else. How can you choose someone to take care of your children in your absence??? How do you say to someone, "Someone, I trust you with the life of my child?". These were my thoughts. Now to those who send their children to day care. More power to you! I can imagine it's hard, but we all do what we gotta do, right?

Luckily enough for us, even though I couldn't stay at home with Aila just now, because Dave is still in school, he could. He could take classes online and stay home with our sweet angel.

There is a down side to this; however, that I, being a novice and all, never considered. Aila hasn't got any friends!!! OK, OK, maybe that statement is a little overboard. She has her cousins, and they are so.much.fun!!!, but outside of that, she doesn't get to play much with other kids.

Last night, Aila and I went to church. This was the second time (we went 2 weeks ago) that she and I went together on a Wednesday night. I left her in the nursery. Two weeks ago was the first time I had done that. I was feeling sad and guilty about leaving her there, so I sort of just rushed out (because I knew it was time to leave her there). When I came back after the service to pick her up, there were 2 little boys playing around her. One of them was probably 2 and the other was probably 4 or 5. They LOVED her, and she? LOVED them!!! It was so adorable.

So, last night when I dropped her off, I put her on the floor, and she took off, squeaky squawking the whole way across the room to play with all the kids! She finally has friends!!! Way to go, kid! Now, lets try to make some "girl" friends! ;) Little flirt!

4 comments:

chae said...

OMG, when I first started reading I was wondering if this was your way of announcing you were pregnant again. While that would be fantastic, I can't have you stealing my thunder!! Also, I would've expected a call! Well, now that my heart rate is getting back to normal, congratulations on the friends. Oh, and don't ever do that again, you got my adreneline going and now I am being kicked by a fetus.

C. said...

As a former stay at home mom I will say that it is very difficult sending your child to a daycare. You just have to find the right fit for your child. It was one of the best things we could have done putting Sophie in school. She is such a busy body and really needed the social interaction. She loves going so much that she begs to go on the weekends (makes me doubly sad)I will advise againist home daycares. Just my personal preference. We love her full-time montessori school. Big bucks, but worth it.

jmt said...

My first son started going to an at-home daycare (when he was three months old)that was recommended by a friend at work. I grew up with my younger sibllings in at-home daycares and I personally feel it's great for social growth. Of course as a mom you feel guilty b/c she was literally spending more awake time in a day with my son than I was, but a living had to be made and we weren't equipped enough to have one person take on two people's bills. The first month was rough, but when he got a bit older and was crawling around and becoming more interactive, I realized how much he enjoyed it. I realized how much she enjoyed him. And I certainly noticed that he was very capable in public because she isn't just an "at home daycare" as people so negatively assume. She takes them on field trips twice a week and she does pre-school for the older children. Skip to 4 years later and he and my second son have actually been staying home with dad 3 days a week. I can certainly state that the baby is nowhere nearly as socially capable as an infant as his brother was. People can say "different babies act differently" but I am convinced a large part of it is due to the fact that he isn't emerged in socializing everyday with MULTIPLE faces. Of course there are the stories you hear about child abuse, and they happen but on such a smaller scale in the scheme of things, and there are wonderful daycare providers, at home and centers, that offer a myriad of positive influences in a baby's and toddler's life.

jmt said...

(sorry that was so long)