18.7.08

GRRRR

Usually, I think of myself as a fairly docile person. I don't like conflict. I don't like to ruffle feathers. I don't like not being liked in general.

TODAY....well....I'm feeling a little different than my USUAL self.

Preface:
I have never had anything custom framed. That's right, I lack experience in all areas o' this life. I'm pretty much a hick loser who has never felt like I needed a custom frame job....UNTIL I got a photo of a certain baby, who just happens to be the most beautiful baby ever...with the one probable exception of the Baby Jesus..., that was an 8 x 12 inch photo. Hmmmm....me thinks you can't buy an 8 x 12 frame or a mat to fit an 8 x 12 photo to fit in an even larger frame. Me further thinks me must hit up the 40% off custom frame sale at Michaels...land of all that is crafty. *I loveD Michaels*
When I ordered this photo of the beautiful, gorgeous, incredibly amazing baby, there was a minor problem, so we had to have the photo REordered.
The sale at Michaels combined with the fact that we were visiting medium size town, USA from whence we originally came.....the stars were aligned...well....mostly
Problem: I didn't have the REordered photo yet. I just had our original print.


Meat and potatoes: I took my photo in to the frame department at Michaels, and I explained to the girl that I needed a custom frame job, that I'd never done this before, and that I had one teeny, tiny problem. I explained to her that if I took advantage of the 40% off sale (which, by the way, I think they run like 25 days of every month, so in hindsight, I should have just waited), I would have to leave the original photo....that would need to be replaced...to be framed.
"Would it be possible for me to just switch out the photo?", I asked the innocent looking Frame Girl.

"Sure! That wouldn't be a problem at all. I'll just leave a note for them to leave the back open," Frame Girl replied.

"Great!"

That was certainly a nice conversation, wasn't it?

So yesterday, a certain husband went to medium sized town, USA, which worked out perfectly, because I had a voicemail when I got out of work informing me that my custom frame job was complete (4 weeks after it had been dropped off....it was supposed to take 2 weeks). I called hubby and asked him if he would please pick up the photo. He was absolutely overjoyed to take a trip to Michaels for me!

When hubby got home and showed me the picture, I was pleased with it. Mat color...good choice, Danielle....Frame....good choice.....I=awesome frame and mat picker outer!!!

I got out the REordered print to change them out. I turn the frame over.....staples....lots of them....hmmmmmm....

"They were supposed to leave the back open," I said to hubby.

"The guy said they did," answered hubby.

I spent 10 minutes prying the staples out of the back of the frame, and at least another 5 minutes trying to pull the backing off without tearing anything up. When I finally had the durn....(I love that word)...thing removed, I discovered.....
Frame Girl must not know anything about custom framing either. I could be Frame Girl, if I wanted to, and after this situation, I would know that, unless you want to tear the whole thing up, you better just have the ACTUAL picture you want framed with you when you send it off to be framed, because you really can't just switch them out. It's pretty much all glued together.

I can't wait until Michaels opens. GRRRR

4 comments:

chae said...

You should look at this as a nice learning experience. Now you know that if the whole pharmacy thing doesn't work out you could always fall back on a frame girl job. Apparently there is no experience necessary! I also know nothing about custom framing but now i am deathly afraid of it. I guess my kid is doomed to a life of Wal-Mart frames. Oh, well, I guess if YOU become frame girl I might consider custom framing. Think about it.

C. said...

Cashew replaced me on your favorites:(

Are you reading my blog anymore...

Anonymous said...

I am SO SORRY that you had to go through all of that! ;(

I'll give you a tip from my past experiences... find the frame you like off the shelf that is plenty oversized for your print. Then go to the counter and have them cut the mat to fit the print & the frame, but purchase only the mat from said "frame girl"... then go home and assemble it yourself. It takes 5 mins and you will always be able to switch photos out if necessary.

Gallery Custom Framing here in Chanute can cut mats for you... I buy a few frames ahead and then let her cut my mats!!!! And that's the Easy Button!

Grace said...

Did you get all pissy with the frame girl yesterday morning?