2.4.08

Oh what a day

Wed....4/2/8

I am up before the sun...and this is how my day started, well, kind of...
HOW ADORABLE!!! Wish I could have stayed there with her ALL DAY LONG! Unfortunately...

The reason my little one was in my bed was because she woke up at about 4am, and when I say woke up, I mean it. She was wide awake! No going back to sleep for her...or so she thought! Little did she know the trickery that her mother would utilize in this situation. As I am still "staying" (I refuse to call it "living") at my parents house, and my younger brothers are home for spring break, we had moved Aila's crib into the guest room, which is where I am staying. So, we have been sharing a room. (Side note...anyone who hasn't had children yet thinking of having their baby sleep in their room...talk to me first!!!) Every little sound I make wakes her up, and vice versa. SO...I am sleep deprived, and she just makes up for it by sleeping more whenever she wants! Let me tell you the story from the beginning...(WARNING!!! portions may be PG 13...will notify again as said portions approach)
I finally crawled into bed last night at about 11pm. I have felt so tired lately that my body is simply aching. I wouldn't mind it if I could pause the rest of the world while I slept for a month or so...anyone remember Zach Morris??? I drift off to sleep rather quickly, but am awakened at 11:26pm by the telephone. I try to get OUT of the room as quickly as possible, so as not to disturb Aila. It is work with a question. I am so tired, I can't even think straight, and the nurse I was talking with probably thought I was a complete idiot. I finally told her that I needed to look something up, and I would call her right back. I really didn't need to look anything up, I just needed a minute to pull myself out of the stupor I was in and focus on the question at hand! OK-question answered...problem solved...crawled back in bed at 11:46pm...Aila was still sleeping soundly.
1:47am...Aila is crying. She thinks she needs to eat! What does she know, right? I reluctantly crawl out of bed and lean over the bed. The second she sees me, she quits crying...hmmm....who's the boss in my house...oh wait...my room...at my parent's house! I take her out of the crib and...eventually nurse her, as she had all but pulled my shirt off and sucked my face so hard it might have left marks! Immediately after nursing, she falls asleep. I put her back in her crib, and I think I fall asleep before my head hits the pillow.
3:42am...Aila is crying. It is almost 2 full hours before I normally get up and feed her in the morning. I stagger over to her crib, look down, and see what every mother dreads seeing in her child's crib in the middle of the night...eyes WIDE open, grin on her face..she is UP...she wants to play!!! We get up to go change her diaper. Then I wander around the house until I found Pudgy. I take Aila, Pudgy, a pacifier, and an Elmo book, and we all crawl back in my bed. I read her the Elmo book. Well, let's be honest..I have it memorized..there was no reading. So, while I have my eyes closed, I recite the book, and turn pages randomly...I know the only page she really likes is the last one with the pop-out Elmo anyway. She is smiling, "heh-heh"ing and interacting with a book...and a semi-conscious mother. After the book, I hold Pudgy above her and wiggle her around and make silly noises for a few minutes, then I go for the face tickle....You know, lightly running my fingers over her eyes, and her cheek bones, etc. I think I fall asleep before her...hopefully I don't poke her eye out, I think...
4:57am...Aila is starting to cry...NOOOO...I nurse her, and we both fall back to sleep.
5:30am...alarm going off...NOOOO!!! Snooze!
5:40am...Snooze going off....NOOOO!!! Snooze again!
6:11am...oh crud...overslept!!! I get up, and rush, rush, rush to get ready (I do take time to take a pic of my beautiful baby). Somehow, I manage to get ready on time, and as I am heading out the door-ON TIME- I might add, I'm thinking, "I should sleep that late every day...it wasn't too bad."
I get to work and there is all of about 30 minutes worth of real work to be done. A slow day, even for me. Great, "What I am going to do all day?" (Later, I'll discover that I will do entries on blog and email all day!!!) I fiddle around until (WARNING...PG13 portions approaching shortly!) it is time for me to go pump around 9:30am. I go over to the OB dept, say my hello's to the nursing staff, and make my way back to the pump room. I sit down to start getting set up. I pull tubing out of my bag, bottles, the pieces that connect the breast shield to the bottle....uh-oh!!! I don't have the breast shield!!! What am I going to do. I simply cannot go all day without pumping! I have no choice...I try without the breast shield...
AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a horrid, torturous, disgustingly BAD idea!!!! I REPEAT...THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!! I think my nipples may seriously fall off. I carry tape around with me the rest of the day...just in case they do and I need to do a nippular reattachment!!!
OK- so that DIDN'T work! Lesson for the day learned...OH- and thanks Jill, for letting me borrow the piece I needed! You are TRULY a life saver!!!
The sad thing is...it's only 12:24 pm...

0 comments: