14.10.08

CRASH!!! and when will it end...seriously?!?!?!?

A normal morning routine for me is getting up with Aila at about 5am. At that point, I am so tired, I stumble back to bed. I put her between Dave and I, and we all sleep soundly until I get up at about 6:45. So this morning, I crawled out of bed at about the usual time to start getting ready for work. I always enjoy this time of my day. Everyone else in the house is sleeping, except for maybe the mice! It's quiet; it's my private time, and I love it. I don't play music; I don't turn on the news. I just enjoy the silence and my own thoughts. That's enough for me.


This morning, however, while my thoughts were running wild amidst the silence, I heard a THUD. Oh my gosh!!! I ran into the bedroom, knowing what I would find. I couldn't even see, and as I ran past the doorway, I reached for the light switch, but I missed, so I just kept going. Thankfully, since the bedroom in our rental house is much smaller than our old bedroom, we didn't bring our bed with us. Right now it is just a box springs and mattress on the floor (so the mice have easier access to feed on my brain at night!) I was so glad, though, this morning, that Aila didn't fall far! Apparently she just barrel-rolled right over that pillow I put strategically in place to block her from the edge of the bed. This wasn't nearly as bad as the changing table!!! While I was holding her and comforting her, I thought about the changing table incident, and then it occurred to me....Are we terrible parents??? I mean, seriously, my kid has a rug bun on her forehead to prove it!


And then it all came rushing back...(I, in no way, am implying that any of these occurrences were my parent's fault)...


I have twin brothers who were wild little things.


One of them clipped his tooth off with finger nail clippers.


One of them handcuffed himself to the swing set and flipped himself off, nearly ripping his arm off (hats off to Grandma for giving wild boys real hand cuffs to play with!).


There was once when mom caught one of them in the dryer, with the other one trying to turn it on.


These are only a few of the things I can remember right off the top of my head. Boy, I guarantee my mom could tell you all kinds of stories. As toddlers, if you would have seen them, you would have thought for sure my parents were abusive. They would have bite marks on their backs from attacking each other during play time; there was maybe a 5 minute time span when they didn't both have black eyes at the same time.


Maybe we're not so bad after all...Kids will be kids, I suppose.


________________________________________________


I am standing still...the earth is rotating on it's axis, and my brain travels with it, but my body remains still. My brain, which is now far from my body wonders if it will ever end!!!!


Ok...really...somebody tell me. Am I forever ruined???


I used to be the most organized person. Now...I can't keep things in order to save my life. I can hardly carry on a coherent conversation because I cannot focus on my own thoughts! What is up with that? Is it still the "mommy brain". I don't think I can get off using that one forever. I fully expect to find my camera hiding behind the ice bucket in the freezer or in the vegetable crisper in the fridge. Hopefully it wasn't in the moldy bread bag I threw out in the trash last week!!!


Aila is worth it and all, but will I get my brain back???

3 comments:

Mandy said...

You are definitely not a bad mommy. Little accidents like that happen to all of us!

jmt said...

Mommy brain stays for awhile, I think. I really have to force myself into conversations and to stop wandering in my mind about things that have to get done, get done, get done.....Once I force the adult conversation switch ON, it's nice. And necessary. Just hard to get to that point in the middle of all the other mommy goo.

Grace said...

Your brain will come back just in time to have another baby, then it will leave again. I swear that I've seen it happen!

Nathaniel fell off the pillow top bed when he was about Aila's age and acted like his arm was limp & broken after the fall. He ended up being fine, but yes, it's the worst feeling when your baby gets hurt. Don't worry, she'll remember this episode of poor mothering when she is sitting in therapy at age 30. Just kidding!

By the way, you bet hope that when you have boys that they aren't like your brothers or you might have a heart attack! Yikes---they sound like Chris' brothers! Hahaha!