22.3.08

Just like a weed

Since Aila was born, I haven't actually taken the time to write down the details of my labor/delivery-so for anyone who might be interested...read on....
It was Friday night when I started having contractions. They were VERY mild, but timing at about 5 min apart. I remember thinking...this must be Braxton-Hicks because my due date still was a week away, and my midwife had just told me two days ago that she thought I would be 4-5 days late. I did, however, get up in the middle of the night to pack a bag...you know, just in case ;)
I went to work on Sat, and the contractions stayed about the same. That afternoon, I actually had my midwife paged. When she called me back, she told me I could go upstairs to be checked if I wanted to, but that she thought I was not in labor...at least that is the way I understood her. She did tell me to go home from work, which, of course, I didn't do! I had been keeping my friend, Kerry, updated on all of this, and she suggested trying a recipe one of her friends had passed along...the famous "going into labor chicken enchiladas". She told me that she would go home and bring me some of the enchiladas. She also walked the stairs with me at work. We walked all the way from the basement to the 7th floor...That's quite a trek for a prego!
Sun...still having regular contractions, but not strong at all. I went to work again (I was sure to tell Dave where my bag was in case I didn't make it back home before the baby was born.) The day was fairly uneventful, but Kerry did bring me the enchiladas- so I had them for lunch AND dinner. Hey, a double dose had to work, right? Dave and I went on a walk that night, and I had to stop every 3-5 min to compose myself (the contractions were quite a bit stronger if I was being active). I MUST be getting close! I continued to have very mild contractions
throughout the night. Oh- and note for Sun- I made gooey bars for dessert! MMMM...
Mon...I got up that morning and, having not slept much for the last several days, I hopped in the bath tub to relax. I had some gooey bars for breakfast....yeah, I know, super healthy. Dave had class that morning, and somehow time got away from me...I think I took a nap. Anyway, I ran out of time to eat lunch. I had an appointment with the midwife at 1:30. She did an exam. I was dilated to 3 cm and almost fully effaced. She stripped my membranes (manually separated the bag of waters from the wall of the uterus) in hopes that it might stimulate my contractions. We decided at that appointment that I would be induced the next morning if I didn't go into active labor that day. My midwife, Rebecca, was going to be out of town in a couple of days, and since we had originally thought I would go late, we didn't think that would be a big deal, but now, it was looking like I would NOT be going late. I had originally said that I wouldn't want to be induced unless I had to, but it's amazing how things change. I really wanted to labor without any pain meds, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it with pitocin! So, an induction was scheduled for the next morning. Dave and I headed back to Lawrence, and within 10 miles of leaving the Dr. office, my contractions had picked up considerably. We got back home, and I got in the tub. It was the only thing that felt comforting to me. Dave asked me what I wanted to eat, but by this time, I felt super nauseated. I made it until about 4:15 (getting in and out of the bath tub about 10 times!) before I told Dave it was time to go. We got our stuff together quickly. (Dave took the dog to his mom's house and had to break in to leave her there. I think he was a little anxious ;) On the trip to Topeka, he gave me a necklace he had picked out that had Aila's birthstone. It was one of the sweetest things he ever did for me. When we got to the hospital, I remember just wanting to get to a room. I didn't want to be in public. I looked like crud; I couldn't stand up straight. I just wanted to have some privacy. Little did I know what I was in for. I will say, though, that once I was in my room, I didn't really care who else was there! I did learn that for next time, I WILL FILL OUT THE PREADMISSION FORM!!! They put me in a triage room for a while, had me get changed, took my vitals, etc. I remember hating the fetal monitor. For some weird reason I thought it hurt. I didn't like that tight belt on my belly! It wasn't long before I started to get REALLY nauseated. I threw up a few times right after we got there. Fun...keep in mind all I had eaten was gooey bars for breakfast. They checked me in triage...still at a 3cm. I remember the nurse telling me that sometimes when they strip your membranes, it just makes your contractions stronger, not any more effective. They called Rebecca, who said I could stay overnight since they would be inducing me in the morning anyway, and if things progressed more quickly then at least I'd already be there. I think it was about 7:30 when the transferred me to my room. Mara was my nurse...she was great- and, even though she made a big mistake later, so sweet. She spent most of her time in my room, which surprised me. I didn't expect that at all. She checked me around 8:30, and I was dilated to a 6. Again at 9:30- 8 cm....and then at probably around 11- 9-9.5 cm. Rebecca had been called, but still wasn't there. The nurses said they were going to go ahead and get things ready and let me start pushing. Rebecca walked in at about 11:30 (before they had me start pushing)...checked me, and said with disgust..."She's only at a 6." I almost lost it. Keep in mind, I haven't had any pain meds at this point. I am thinking, "OK, I'm doing good, and it's time to start pushing....OH NO... I could have 4 more hours of this!!!! I CAN NOT handle that!" I think that it was about 2.5 seconds after Rebecca said that, that I said, "Give me an epidural!" Rebecca, knowing that I didn't really want to do that, said she wanted to break my water first and see if I could wait 30 min more, and then decide if I really wanted the epidural. About 5 min after she broke my water (maybe not even that long) I said, "Give me and epidural!" I was hyperventilating, and I couldn't focus on my breathing. I remember they put the oxygen mask on me, and I was the compliant patient who ripped it off...kind of like the fetal monitor, it just bothered me. I didn't want it touching me. For some stupid reason, it hurt. They called for the anesthesiologist, and I signed the paper work, etc...but by that time, I was dilated to a 10! I think I pushed 4 times. We had a baby by 12:16! Aila Ivy...7 pounds, 6 ounces, 19.5 inches.
3 of the things that stick out in my mind as having surprised me were how bad the stitches hurt, how much blood there was, and how bad the cramping afterward hurt (especially when they pushed on your stomach) I think it probably didn't really hurt that bad, but I was really tired of feeling anything.
It's weird how I remember the details of that day so clearly, and yet, it has been 4 months and 2 days since Aila was born. She is getting so big, and while it is amazing to watch her grow and change each day, it is also really sad. My baby is growing two teeth!!!
My goal is to cherish each and every second!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danielle- I love reading your blog! You are a fantastic writer and have such a sweet subject to write about. I am planning on having your pictures done tomorrow... I'll email you then!